Thursday, October 11, 2012

Spot on....





http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/features/2012/10/10/american-britishisms/

Listen carefully....it was bound to happen.  Americans, many of whom are bored and embarrassed by a culture viewed by many as crass and infantile, have forsaken Larry the Cable Guy and Jersey Shore in favour of the linguistic style of their former colonial masters, whose tea and blood they happily spilled in the Boston Harbour a few centuries ago.  Blame it on the Harry Potter series, an almost sexy royal couple, or the delicate soap opera. Downton Abbey, or just accept the fact that Anglophilia is just simply a hard fetish to break.  I confess to being a bit of one too - perhaps it was my dad, indoctrinated by a legion of benevolent British teachers, anxious to bring civilization to the colonies in the 1920's, or maybe it was just a love of music during my coming of age in the 1980's, where almost everything British was cool:

Like many of the colonized, I am not above the odd act of rebellion.  I often like taking the piss (Anglicism?) out of England every now and then.  I recently wrote a reference letter for a student who was applying to British schools, chiding them for their ridiculously strict admissions policies, while knowing all the while that back at the home front  we are not much better.  Canadians often infuriate me with their obsession over the Queen and the Royals in general, and I know I would not likely fit into polite, British society, bearing a loud voice, an absence of manners, and a general ambivalence towards soccer/football.  Still, as I whip out my first Salvation Army tweed jacket of the season and drink from my David Bowie mug, warm thoughts of snogging in a London flat seem just spot on right now....

No comments: