Friday, September 5, 2008

Brother Dear, It's Not Called "It's All Right Now"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfcisnVHtA0

So I am on my way to work this morning and the song above blares over the oldies station designed to trigger nostalgia and good feelings. In this case, there was that odd feeling of Deja Vu. As I looked at Jake




I realized that I was the same age when this was the most popular song in North America, or likely behind some Herb Alpert instrumental on the charts. I was transported back to 1968, sitting in my sister's room as it was slowly transforming from the child's chamber of opression to an assertion of her own unique and rebellious personality. It was one of the first songs I remember hearing on the radio and it sounded a lot tougher than "All You Need Is Love" and "Mrs. Robinson".


I used to loathe 60's nostalgia, largely because I was too young to appreciate it. Now that the baby boomers are looking old and reflective, I can claim the music of this period as my first foray into musical appreciation, although my man crushes on The Rolling Stones have dissipated somewhat. It would also help if the music industry could produce something somewhat interesting. To quote Frank Zappa:

"Modern music is people who can't think signing artists who can't write songs to make records for people who can't hear."

No comments: